We know, the dentist is usually no laughing matter. With the relaxing, safe option of nitrous oxide, it can be! Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is a gentle means to calm anxiety during your dental treatment at Town and Country Family Dentistry. Without a needle in sight (ouch!), both kids and adults can experience a relaxing option for their dental care. There are no side effects and the effects quickly wear off after the gas leaves your body through breathing natural air.
So, now you know some of the great benefits of laughing gas while you’re in the dental chair. We have compiled a list of other interesting facts about the glorious gas that is nitrous oxide. They may not leaving you rolling on the floor with laughter, but we’re sure you’ll find them interesting!
- Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a very simple and naturally occurring gas.
- It was discovered in 1772 by an English scientist named Joseph Priestley.
- Nitrous oxide is also used in the food industry. For example, it gives whipped cream a lift to a fluffy texture.
- It was not originally intended for medical purposes. Instead, it was used in social settings for entertainment in the years 1800-1844.
- Nitrous oxide is also used in childbirth because it can be used at any point during labor.
- Not everyone actually laughs because of laughing gas. Some people just get sleepy. The name comes from the feeling of euphoria it inspires!
- It is also used in the automotive industry because it can act as an accelerant in motors.
More on these facts can be found at Health24.com.
Do you suffer from severe dental anxiety? The friendly team at Town and Country in Chesterfield, MO are here to help!
Contact us today to learn about other options such as IV sedation for more advanced treatments like implants and oral surgery.